Our winery Tenuta Viglione is located on the hills of Murgia in the heart of Puglia in southern Italy therefore our vineyards enjoy a Mediterranean climate with mild winters and hot summers. Our ground is a calcareous soil with a dark brown colour of marshy origins, rich in nourishment for the vines. It’s not difficult to find some shell-fossil among the vineyards since many centuries ago there was the ocean all around the hill where the estate is located . We are the only firm with this type of soil in our area and the only one on the highest point above the sea level (about 500mt). So the plant enjoys a good temperature range that lets the grapes to be always fresh and never “cooked” under the sun. This is very important for a good bouquet of perfumes in the glass.
Concerning our company, we are a little firm under family management so we can have an overview on every step of the production, from the plant to the bottle. Our family management ensures the greatest care in every details: every bottle of wine is produce and bottled in firm; there is a strict grape selection; plants are nourished exclusively with the help of organic matters.
We mainly produce Primitivo wine not only because Puglia is the land of this red grape, but as, above all, it was for the first time selected in our town Gioia del Colle.
It already existed as plant in this area of Italy but it was in Gioia del Colle that it was selected as wine. As a matter of fact two centuries ago, a Benedictine monk from Gioia’s church, in order to meet the demands of the local farmers who complained about the autumn rains that destroyed their harvest, observed that one of his vines cultivated in his vineyard, ripened for first (end of August / first days of September) avoiding the autumn rains. He selected that vine and planted a whole vineyards with that kind: the first monoculture of Primitivo was born. So Primitivo is not only a grape from Puglia but a native grape of Gioia del Colle where it’s born. In this area, with this climate, with this soil, it meets specific conditions to express its qualities.
In our portfolio we have 2 white wines, 4 red wines, 1 rosè wine and 1 dessert wine:
- Paglione: white wine Gioia del Colle DOC. Its label reminds of the old paper used by the monks in Gioia’s church and there is also on it an old roman coin we found in our vineyards. It has a clear and bright colour, a fresh and inviting aroma. Ideal with fish, white meats or as starter. It was selected for 2 years with 2 glasses from the famous Italian wine guide “Gambero Rosso”.
- Falanghina: white wine IGT Puglia This wine is obtained from grapes of the same name purely vinified. It has a pale straw-yellow colour with greenish shimmer. The aroma is intense and persistent. Distinct notes of tiny white flowers and fruit with a pleasing hint of the local apple. A balanced, fresh taste with a clean finish.
- Nisia: rosè wine IGT Puglia. Pink in colour, with subtle hints of violet. It has a fruity bouquet evoking a scent of exotic fruits. Suggested on soups, cheeses and white meat.
- Johe: red wine IGT Puglia. With its modern and eye-catchy label, it won the international packaging competition at Vinitaly wine fair. A young red wine with a brilliant red color, a fruity perfume and a balanced taste.
- Rupestre: red wine Gioia del Colle DOC. Ruby colour with hints of violet. It has a bouquet with tinges of forest fruits. To drink it is soft to the palate, giving a warm sensation. Perfect wine for roasted meat and cheeses
- PRI-MIT-IVO: red wine Gioia del Colle DOC. 100% Primitivo with a red deep color. It has a full and plentiful bouquet with a warm and long taste. Winner of “Diploma di Gran Menzione” at the last edition of Vinitaly wine fair.
- Marpione: red wine Gioia del Colle DOC. 100% Primitivo from vineyards of 50 years old. Aged for 24 months in big barrel and 4 months in barrique, it has an intense red ruby color, thick perfumes of red fruit and a plentiful and persistent taste. Meditation wine.
- Aleatico: red dessert wine Gioia del Colle DOC. 100% Aleatico, It has an intense perfume of red forest fruit; pleasant, full, sweet taste. It is fantastic to be matched with ice-cream; biscuits with almonds or as dessert. It is particularly appreciated in relax and meditation.