Santi Dimitri Azienda Agricola
Santi Dimitri Azienda Agricola is a family owned business based in Galatina (Lecce – Puglia). Our agricultural business is dated end of 17th century and in 1996 we have registered the brand Santi Dimitri with the aim of establishing a link between our agricultural heritage and the future. Since 1996 we have been carrying on the following research and development projects:
• Research Programme for the recovery of historical clones of Negroamaro grapes carried out under the supervision of “Istituto Sperimentale di Viticoltura” (Research Institute for Vine Growing) of Conegliano Veneto – Italy and the Chamber of Commerce of Lecce;
• Research Programme for the introduction of new olive varieties, carried out under the supervision of the “CNR – Istituto di Ricerca sull’Olivicoltura” (National Council of research – Institute for Olive Growing Research) of Perugia;
• Research Programme for the selection and testing of yeast obtained from native grape types (Negroamaro and Primitivo) carried out under the supervision of the CNR – Istituto delle Scienze delle Produzioni Alimentari (National Council of Research – Science Institute for the Food Products) of Lecce;
• Research Programme for the recovery of local varieties of cereals – i.e. “farro”- carried out under the supervision of “CNR – Istituto del Germoplasma” (National Council of Research);
• 18 years ago we introduced Fiano grapes in Salento region and in 1999 Fiano was declared historical clone from Puglia.
• Our company has been selected as a reference company for the monitoring of Olive Oil Quality in the Salento region. This programme is carried on by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture and the association “Frantoiani d’Italia”. A liquids analyzer has been delivered and installed in our company. This liquids analyzer provides a very detailed analysis of the olive oil (52 parameters) and the results of each analyzed sample are send via web to the association’s server for further data managing.
We have been operating under the “Organic Farming” Protocol and since last year we are gradually changing to a new environment friendly agricultural protocol named “Agricoltura Naturale”. Our main goal is to provide our customers with genuine products (wine, extra vergine olive oil, legumes, wheat and farro) that have been produced with environment sustainable methods. We process commercialize exclusively estate grown agricultural products.
Production of wine in 2009 has been 150,000 bottles, the expected production in 2013 shall be 500,000 bottles.
The company extent amounts to 200 hectares composed as follows: 60 hectares vineyards 40 hectares olive groves 90 hectares cereals and legumes
10 hectares forest (of which approx. 1 hectare citrus fruit groves)